Capt. Basil Dorsey (of Caleb) 1 2
- Born: 25 Jul 1705, St. Anne's Parish, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States)
- Marriage (1): Sarah Worthington
- Died: 20 Aug 1763 at age 58
Twin brother of Achsah Dorsey.
From The Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, Maryland by J. D. Warfield (Baltimore, 1905), pp. 61-62:
[The will of Hon. John Dorsey reads, in part:]
'To grandson, Basil, of Caleb, my plantation on Elk Ridge, called "Troy." If no issue, to my grandsons, John and Caleb, of Caleb. My son, Caleb, to be my administrator.--JOHN DORSEY. (Seal).'
"Mrs. Plesance Dorsey became Mrs Robert Wainwright. Her tract, 'The Isle of Ely,' was sold by her grandson, 'Patuxent John Dorsey,' to Basil Dorsey, of Caleb, whose homestead, 'Troy Hill,' was the former residence of Hon. John Dorsey."
Noted events in his life were:
• Inherited: "Troy" from his grandfather Hon. John Dorsey, 30 Nov 1722, Baltimore Co., Maryland, (United States). This was a plantation on Elk Ridge. The homestead, formerly the residence of Hon. John Dorsey, was called "Troy Hill." It was held by his grandmother, Pleasance (Ely) Dorsey until her marriage to Thomas Wainwright on 30 November 1722.
• Acquired: "The Isle of Ely" from "Patuxent" John Dorsey, After 1733.
Basil married Sarah Worthington, daughter of Thomas Worthington and Elizabeth Ridgely. (Sarah Worthington was born on 2 Feb 1715.)