Honorable Robert Ridgely of St. Inigoe's Creek
(-1681)
Martha Darnall
(1678-1742)
Honorable Capt. John Dorsey of "Hockley-in-the-Hole"
(Abt 1645-1715)
Pleasance Ely
(Abt 1660-Bef 1734)
Charles Ridgely "the Planter"
(Abt 1670-1705)
Deborah Dorsey
(Abt 1685-Bef 1752)

Colonel Charles Ridgely II
(1702-1772)

 

Family Links

Spouses/Children:
1. Rachel Howard of "Hampton"

2. Lydia Warfield

Colonel Charles Ridgely II 1 2 3 4

  • Born: 1702, Prince George's Co., Maryland, (United States)
  • Marriage (1): Rachel Howard of "Hampton" about 1722 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, (United States)
  • Marriage (2): Lydia Warfield on 5 Dec 1747
  • Died: 1772, "Northampton" near Towson, Baltimore Co., Maryland, (United States) at age 70
  • Buried: "Hampton", Baltimore Co., Maryland, (United States)

   Another name for Charles was Charles "the Merchant" Ridgely II.

  Research Notes:

From Inhabitants of Baltimore County 1763-1774, pp. 5-6:

"BACK RIVER UPPER HUNDRED, 1763"
[Among those listed are:]
Cockey, Edward
Cockey, Thomas
Cole, William (Britton Ridge)
Cole, Samuel
Cockey, John
Cockey, Joshua
Cockey, William
Deye, Penelope
Deye, Thomas Cockey
Owings, Samuel
Owings, Beal
Owings, Bazil
Ridgley, Charles Sr.
Ridgley, Charles Jr.
Talbot, Edward
Wells, Francis

Ibid., pp. 16-23:

"INDEX TO AQUILA HALL'S ASSESSMENT LEDGER, 1762-1765

Aquila Hall was High Sheriff of Baltimore County and after Harford County separated from Baltimore County in 1773 he was appointed Colonel of Militia and one of the Lord Justices of the new county of Harford from 1774 to 1779. While serving as Sheriff of Baltimore County he compiled a tax assessment ledger of 145 pages which named 1,380 persons, their land tracts, and their assessments... Its index contains the following names...

"William Cockey,... Joshua Cockey,... Edward Cockey,... John Hammond Dorsey,... Caleb Dorsey, Bazil Dorsey, Edward Dorsey,... Caleb Dorsey,... Richard Dorsey,...John Dorsey,...Samuel Owings,... John Owings, Joshua Owings,... Sarah Owings,... Stephen Owings,... Samuel Owings,... Elijah Owings,... Henry Owings,... Christopher Randell,... John Ridgley,... Charles Ridgley, Jr.,... Capt. John Stinchcombe,... Nathan Stinchcombe,... Edmund Talbott, Thomas Talbott,... Philip Thomas,... Edward Talbott,... Samuel Underwood,... Benjamin Wells,... James Wells,... William Wells, James Wells, Jr.,... Charles Wells,... Elex Wells..."

Ibid., pp. 26-27:

"PETITION OF SOME ENGLISH INHABITANTS OF BALTIMORE TOWN IN SUPPORT OF THE GERMAN INHABITANTS, 1767

"On May 16, 1767 a number of inhabitants of Baltimore Town presented a petition in support of the German inhabitants who had complained about the Justices who took advantage of their inability to understand English. The subscribers said they knew of such occurrences, but also expressed a belief that William Aisquith, one of the Justices, was not guilty of such charges. (Archives of Maryland, 32:203-204)...
Charles Ridgely, Jr....John Ridgely...William Lux..."

Ibid., pp. 27-41:

"JOPPA COURTHOUSE PETITION OF 1768

"The petitions for and against the removal of the county seat of Baltimore County from Joppa to Baltimore Town in 1768 are discussed at length in the Archives of Maryland, Vol. 61 (Appendix). Notices were posted in January, 1768 at the door of the courthouse in Joppa, at the church door of St. Paul's Parish, at the church door of St. Thomas' Parish, at the church door of St. John's Parish, at the church door of St. George's Parish, at the door of the chapel of St. George's Parish, at the door of the chapel of St. John's Parish, and at the house called St. Thomas' Chapel in St. Thomas' Parish, by Absalom Butler and sworn to before the Honorable Benjamin Rogers. Notices were printed in English and German. Tabulations indicate that 2,271 voted for the removal of the courthouse, and 901 voted against it. (It should be noted that some signatures are missing due to the disintegration of the paper, and there also appears to be some who signed more than once.) Five years later, Harford County separated from Baltimore County and set up its court house at Bush (Harford Town) in 1774 and at Bel Air in 1782.

"SIGNERS FOR THE REMOVAL OF THE COUNTY SEAT TO BALTIMORE TOWN (1768)...

"...Thomas Cockey...Joshua Owings...Charles Ridgely... Samuel Owings... John Cockey... Benjamin Wells, Charles Wells... George Wells... Caleb Warfield, Nathaniel Stinchcomb... William Coale...Christopher Randall, Jr.... J. Cockey Owings... William Wells, Jr.... William Wells...Edward Talbott... Edward Cockey... Benjamin Talbott... Charles Ridgely (son William)... Elisha Dorsey... Alexander Wells, Nathaniel Owings...Nathaniel Stinchcomb, Sr....Lott Owings... Anthony Arnold... Richard Owings... William Cockey... John Talbott (son Edward)... Richard Owings... William Slade... Edward Talbot... Vachel Dorsey... Christopher Owings, Richard Owings... Edward Dorsey (son John)... Lancelott Dorsey, Charles Dorsey (son Nathan), Ely Dorsey... Henry Dorsey...Samuel Dorsey, Jr.... Joshua Owings, Jr.... Samuel Owings... John Wells... Thomas Owings... Henry Butler... George Dorsey...

"SIGNERS AGAINST THE REMOVAL OF THE COUNTY SEAT TO BALTIMORE TOWN (1768)...

Greenbury Dorsey, Jr....William Wells..."

Ibid., pp. 50-54:

"A LIST OF TAXABLES IN BACK RIVER UPPER HUNDRED IN 1773 TAKEN BY WILLIAM HUTSON"

[Among households and garrisons(?) listed are:]

Ridgley, Charles; William Cloman; John Corns; Negroes: Captain, Frank, Dick, Harry, Hester, Paterson, James, Cate(1), Phillis, Cate(2), Tony

Ridgley, Charles, Captain at Northamton Qtr.; Samuel Merry; John the Wagoner; George Goodwin; Edward Welch; Duch Henry; Shepard; Samuel; Dile; John Bowest; Denis; Jack Gum; Coleman; Michael; Slight; Negroes: Bob, Marane, Casly

Ridgley, Charles, Captain, and Company at the Northamton Fce.; Henry Howard; Benjamin Deaver; Caleb Warfield; John Vaughn; B. Legget; Daniel Barker; Philip Beal; Richard Gough; Johnus White; John McvCown; Joseph Allen; William Onion; Charles Doud; Joseph Harvey; Michael Martain; Timothy Murphy; Samuel Coil; John Dehoddy; Edw. Corckland; James Roany; Barney Quin; William Stevens; Thos. Ellishear; Samuel Fisher; Edmond Gunshaw; John Puit; Thos. (?)nahory; Martin Poltis; Henry Riddon; Dennis White; Wm. McConnel; Joseph Wood; Daniel Boot; Thomas Davy; Wm. Connelly; William Roe; John Fonhue; Negroes: Toby, Helton, Joe, Lyn, tom, Jupiter, Teaner, Hannah, Jonathan, Dan

Ibid., pp. 62-65:

"LIST OF TAXABLES IN GUNPOWDER UPPER HUNDRED, BALTIMORE COUNTY, TAKEN BY SUTTON GUDGEON, 1773

"... Dulany, Walter, at Qtr. and Charles Wells, Overseer;... Ridgly, Charles (Qt);..."

This may not be the same man:

Ibid., p. 107:

"PETITION IN 1746

"'We, the Subscribers Inhabitants of Baltimore County and Town, and many of Us Members of a Club kept in said Town, having understood that an Information hath been made to this Government, that Mr. James Richards, high Sheriff of Our said County, and a Member of Our Club, hath spoken Words reflecting on his present Majesty King George his Person and Government. We therefore in Justice to the Character of the said James Richards do certify that He at all times and on all Occasions, when in Our Company, expressed the Greatest Loyalty and Zeal for his present Majesty and the happy Establishment both in Church and State, and frequently declared his utter Abhorrence of the resent unnatural Rebellion; and always was One of the most Active and forward in expressing his Joy, on making any Conquest or gaining any Viuctory over the French, the Pretender, or any of his Majestys Enemies,... And further We belive the said Information to be malicious, spiteful and without Foundation.' (Source: Archives of Maryland, Vol. XXVIII, page 375)

"Darby Lux... Charles Ridgely..."
--------------------
From Wikipedia - Charles Ridgely II :

"Col. Charles Ridgely II, "Charles The Merchant" (1702-1772) of "Ridgely's Whim", a Justice, planter, mechant, ironmaster , and member of the Lower House. Charles II, was the son of Charles Ridgely I , "Charles The Planter" (ca. 1670-1705) and Deborah Dorsey (ca. 1685-1752).

Charles was born in Prince George's County, and still a minor at the death of his father in 1705. He inherited the estates "White Wine" and "Claret" from his grandfather Hon. John Dorsey , Capt. (ca. 1645-1715), although he never lived at either. At the time they totaled 1,400 acres (5.7 kmē) between them, and Charles later resurveyed them into 2,145 acres (8.68 kmē) by adding some surplus land.

Charles married Rachel Howard (ca. 1696-1750) of "Hampton ", in about 1722. Rachel was born in about 1696 in Baltimore, Maryland, and died in 1750 in Baltimore County. Rachel was the daughter of Capt. John Howard, Jr. (ca. 1667-1704) and his first wife, Mary Warfield (ca. 1670-1699).

Political career
Ridgely became a Justice of the Peace in Baltimore County in 1741, a position he held until 1753, and became a Justice of the Quorum in 1750. In addition he served as a justice of the Especial Court of Oyer, Terminer, and Gaol Delivery in 1748 and 1750. Charles served on the Lower House of the General Assembly in Baltimore County from 1751-1754, and at the same time County Commissioner. Charles was commissioned a Major in 1751, and became a Colonel by 1757. He was also a vestryman and churchwarden of St. Paul's Parish.

Land Holdings
Upon his marriage to Rachel, he acquired the estate known as "Howard's Timber Neck" from his father-in-law. In 1732, this land was combined with another property known as "Brotherly Love", resurveyed and termed "Ridgely's Delight". In 1735, Ridgely began leasing parcels of land in "Ridgely's Delight". The historic district and neighborhood which remains today and is still known as "Ridgely's Delight", is situated on what was first a Susquehannock Indian path, and in the Federal period, a main highway from Washington to Philadelphia (now Washington Boulevard). The earliest houses within today's boundaries of "Ridgely's Delight" date from about 1804. A large portion of the development of "Ridgely's Delight" occurred between 1816 and 1875, with particular intensity during the 1840s and 1850's.

He was the first of the family to reside in Baltimore County when he moved there in 1734. He became a Gentleman by 1738, and Esquire by 1748, and was styled "Charles The Merchant". Charles was a planter, merchant, ironmaster, and owner of a furnace and forges. Although his mercantile base was in Baltimore Town and Baltimore County , his interests extended into Anne Arundel County where he purchased tobacco, crops, livestock, and slaves from at least 1736 through the 1740s.
In 1745, He acquired "Northampton", near Towson, Maryland, and was founder of the Ridgely family of "Hampton ". By 1750 "Charles The Merchant" had taken up or purchased altogether 26 parcels in Baltimore and Anne Arundel County, aggregating 8,000 acres (32 kmē). These parcels were not all contiguous, and they included areas as distant as the present Roland Park, Guilford and Blythewood.

It was "Northampton", which became the centerpiece for the Ridgely family setting. The tract of land was originally granted to Col. Henry Darnall, Sr. (1645-1711), who immigrated to Maryland from Hertsfordshire, England . The 1500 acre (6 kmē) parcel was surveyed for Colonel Darnall in 1695. Colonel Darnall was Gov. Charles Calvert, 3rd Lord Baltimore 's (1637-1714) primary agent in Maryland for many years. The property was inherited by his daughter, Ann Hill (1680-1749) in 1745, in consideration of 600 pounds of sterling. In the early 1760s Col. Ridgely established several large ironworks, which thrived from the easily mined deposits of iron ore in the area. The large mansion "Hampton " was built on the tract of land containing 10,000 acres (40 kmē), called "Northampton" between 1783 and 1790 by Col. Ridgely's youngest son Captain Charles Ridgely III "Charles The Mariner" (1733-1790). "Hampton" is about 13 miles due north of Baltimore and about 2 miles north of Towson, in Baltimore County.

Second Marriage
Charles married secondly on December 5, 1747, Lydia (Warfield) Stringer, widow of Dr. Samuel Stringer (d. 1747) of Queen Caroline Parish, Anne Arundel County. Lydia was the daughter of Richard Warfield III , Esq. (ca. 1677-1755) and Ruth Crutchley (ca. 1683-1713).

Ironworks
In 1760 Ridgely and his two sons built Northampton Ironworks , which included a furnace on Patterson's Run and forges at Long Cam near Gunpowder Falls. Between November 1763 and April 1764, the ironworks shipped over 1,858 pounds worth of pig and bar iron to London.

Death
At the time of his death in 1772, Charles estate was valued at 6,285.16.9 pounds current money, including 36 slaves, 6 servants, 121 oz. plate, his one-third interest in the Northampton Ironworks valued at 322.9.3 pounds, and 603 pounds worth of goods shipped by London merchants. He died at "Northampton", near Towson, Baltimore Co., Maryland, and his will was probated on June 8, 1772.

Children
1.
John Ridgely, Sr. (ca. 1723-1771), who married Mary Dorsey (1725-1786), daughter of Caleb Dorsey (1685-1742) and Elinor Warfield (1683-1752).
2. Pleasance Ridgely (1724-1755), who married Lyde Godwin (1718-1755).
3. Charles Ridgely (1727), who died young.
4. Achsah Ridgely (1729-1778), who married 1) Dr. Robert Holliday (d. 1747). 2) John Carnan (1728-1767). 3) Daniel Chamier , a Tory merchant of Baltimore.
5. William Ridgely (ca. 1731), who died young.
6. Capt. Charles Ridgely III "Charles The Mariner" (1733-1790), builder of "Hampton ", who married Rebecca Dorsey (1738-1812), daughter of Caleb Dorsey, Jr. (1710-1772) and Priscilla Hill (1718-1782).
7. Rachel Ridgely (1734-1813), who married Lt. Col. Darby Lux II (1737-1795), son of Capt. Darby Lux I (1695-1750) and Ann Saunders (1700-1785).

Ancestry
Col. Ridgely II, was the son of Charles Ridgely I , "Charles The Planter" (ca. 1670-1705) and Deborah Dorsey (ca. 1685-1752). Deborah married secondly Richard Clagett, Sr. , of "Croome" (1681-1752).
Deborah was the daughter of Hon., Capt. John Dorsey (ca. 1645-1715) of "Hockley", Anne Arundel County, and his wife Pleasance Ely (ca. 1660-1734).
Charles I, was the son of Hon. Robert Ridgely (d.1681) of "St. Inigoe's Creek", St. Mary's Co., Maryland, and Martha "Mary" Darnall (1678-1742). Martha married secondly, Anthony Underwood (1659-1689), and thirdly, Charles Carroll I (1660-1720).
Martha was the daughter of Col. Henry Darnall, Sr. (1645-1711) of "Darnall's Delight", and his second wife, Eleanor (Hatton) Brooke (1642-1725), widow of Maj. Thomas Brooke, Sr. , Esq. (1632-1676) of "Brookefield".

Source
Fendall, Douglas Allen. The Descendants of Governor Josias Fendall.
--------

From The Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, Maryland by J. D. Warfield (Baltimore, 1905), pp. 61-62:
[The will of Hon. John Dorsey reads, in part:]

'To my grandsons, Charles and William Ridgely, of Deborah, my tract called "White Wine and Claret," south side of the middle branch of the Patuxent. If they leave no issue, to go to Martha, Elinor and Edward Clagett...--JOHN DORSEY. (Seal).'

  Noted events in his life were:

• Inherited: "White Wine and Claret," jointly with his brother William, from his grandfather Hon. John Dorsey, 1715, Baltimore Co., Maryland, (United States). This tract was located on the south side of the middle branch of the Patuxent..


Charles married Rachel Howard of "Hampton", daughter of John Howard Jr. and Mary Warfield, about 1722 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, (United States). (Rachel Howard of "Hampton" was born about 1696 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, (United States) and died in 1750 in Baltimore Co., Maryland, (United States).)


Charles next married Lydia Warfield, daughter of Richard Warfield III, Esq. and Ruth Crutchley, on 5 Dec 1747.


Sources


1 Peden, Henry C., Jr, Inhabitants of Baltimore County 1763-1774. (Westminster, MD: Family Line Publications, 1989.).

2 Wikipedia.org, Charles Ridgely II.

3 Warfield, J. D, The Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, Maryland. (Baltimore: Kohn & Pollock, 1905), pp. 61-62.

4 http://www.familysearch.org.


Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 30 Oct 2017 with Legacy 9.0 from Millennia