John Jacob Johnson
Other names for John were George J. Johnson, J. J. Johnson and Jorgen Jacob Jorgensen.
Eldest son of Laurtiz and Caroline Johnson.
1900 Census has John J Johnson and his parents born in Germany. Mary reported born in Denmark. Census has born August 1844, which differs from the obituary. His obituary has his birthdate as 15 August 1854. Mark Johnson has a source with 27 August 1854. It is my guess that 27 August 1854 was the date of his christening.
Died in St Marys Hospital in Fort Dodge. His residence was in Paton, Iowa. He was a retired farmer at the time of his death. The handwritten notes on his death certificate are difficult to decipher. The best guess is that he was in the hospital from 25 Sept 1929 to 29 Sept 1929, with death about 8:50 p.m. Exploratory surgery had been conducted on 28 Sept 1929. The immediate cause of death was shock due to surgery after attempting relief from an obstruction having to do with his liver (?). A contributory cause was "carcinonotisis."
Noted events in his life were:
• Religion: Lutheran.
• Alt. Birth, 30 Aug 1854. Obituary in Humboldt, Iowa newspaper says 30 Aug 1854. Do not know source of 30 Aug 1854 date.
• Confirmation: Confirmed in Danish Lutheran faith, 1870, Denmark. According to obituary, was confirmed in the Danish Lutheran fait at 16 years of age.
• Emigration: Emigrated from Denmark to United States, 1881, Illinois, United States. Emigrated as a child with his parents [or entire family]. According to his obituary, the family came to the United States in 1881, as does the 1910 U.S. Census. Other sources say it was 1880. (e.g., the 1900 census).The obituary says they "settled near Gilmore City, Illinois." This may have actually been Gibson City, Illinois. The 1920 census has his immigration year as 1898 with naturalization as 1902.
• Moved: After marriage, farmed in Nebraska, Abt 1884, Wauneta, Nebraska, United States. Per Ardis Johnson Bynum 8/26/06, George (Jorgensen?) Johnson and Mary Jensen settled first in Wauneta, Nebraska [after their marriage]
• Moved: Moved to farm in West Bend, Iowa, 1897, West Bend, Kossuth Co., Iowa, United States. Per obituary, "...farmed at West Bend and Rodman."
• Moved: to farm in Rodman, Iowa, Abt 1900, Rodman, Palo Alto, Iowa, United States. Per obituary, "...farmed at West Bend and Rodman. In 1912 he retired and moved to Rodman, later moving to California"
• Census: U.S, 8 Jun 1900, Fern Valley, Palo Alto, Iowa, United States. 7 Household:
• Residence, 8 Jun 1900, Rodman, Palo Alto, Iowa, United States.
• Citizenship: Became a United States citizen, 1902, <IIowa>, United States. According to obituary, he became a citizen in 1882. Do not know where (Illinois?). The 1920 census gives his naturalization year as 1902.
• Census: U.S, 12 Apr 1910, Garfield, Kossuth, Iowa, United States. 8 Household:
• Retirement: Retired and moved to Rodman, Iowa, 1912, Rodman, Palo Alto, Iowa, United States. Per obituary, "...farmed at West Bend and Rodman. In 1912 he retired and moved to Rodman, later moving to California."
• Moved: Moved to California, Abt 1918, California, United States. Some time after retirement in 1912, moved to California, then moved to Paton, Iowa in 1924.
• Census: U.S, 26 Jan 1920, Rodman, Palo Alto, Iowa, United States. 9 J J Johnson's farm immediately follows that of William Johnson in the 1920 census.
• Moved: Moved to Paton, Iowa, to live with daughter Marie & husband, 1924, Paton, Greene, Iowa, United States. Per obituary: "Five years ago  Mr. and Mrs. Johnson came to Paton, Iowa, where they have since made their home with their daughter, Mrs. O. E. Pearson [Marie B. Johnson]."
John married Bodil Marie Jensen, daughter of Jens Christian Jensen and Ane Cathrine Hansdatter, on 22 Dec 1883 in <Wauneta>, Nebraska, United States. (Bodil Marie Jensen was born on 5 Mar 1854 in Asaae Bye, Dronninglund Sogn (Brønderslev), Nordjylland, Denmark, christened on 28 Mar 1854 in Dronninglund Kirke, Dronninglund, (Hjørring), Nordjylland, Denmark,10 11 died on 11 Aug 1937 in <Paton, Greene, Iowa>, United States and was buried in Union Cemetery, Humboldt, Humboldt, Iowa, United States 12.)
1 Johnson, DeWayne B. and Lorna Wallace Johnson, Johnson/Wallace Family Tree.
2 Obituary, John Jacob Johnson.
3 Personal Documents, DeWayne B. Johnson family documents & photographs.
5 FamilySearch Historical Files (www.familysearch.org), "Iowa, Death Records, 1921-1940," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q248-FGZC : accessed 21 February 2017), J J Johnson, 29 Sep 1929; citing Fort Dodge, Webster, Iowa, United States, State Historical Society of Io.
6 www.findagrave.com, Find A Grave Memorial# 97584029.
7 FamilySearch Historical Files (www.familysearch.org), "United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9L7-Z3K : accessed 25 February 2017), John J Johnson, Fairfield &Fern Valley Townships Cylinder town & Rodman village, Palo Alto, Iowa, United State.
8 FamilySearch Historical Files (www.familysearch.org), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MGMD-KXP.
9 FamilySearch Historical Files (www.familysearch.org), "United States Census, 1920," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M81B-FJK : accessed 21 February 2017), J J Johnson, Fern Valley, Palo Alto, Iowa, United States; citing ED 192, sheet 6A, line 33, family 9, NARA mic.
10 Correspondence, Dronninglund Church records 1849-1860F, bulletin 206. Provided by Finn H. Thomsen.
11 FamilySearch Historical Files (www.familysearch.org), "Denmark Baptisms, 1618-1923," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYDH-67L : 6 December 2014), Jens Christian Jensen in entry for Bodil Marie Jensen, 09 Mar 1854; citing DRONNINGLUND,HJORRING,DENMARK; FHL microfilm 48,988.
www.findagrave.com, Find A Grave Memorial# 97584155.