Samuel Humphrey 1 2
- Born: Abt 1635
- Christened: 22 Jan 1635, Llangelynin, Talybont, Merionethshire, Wales
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Rees on 20 Feb 1658
- Died: Bef 1683, Merionethshire, Wales
From t Reifsnyder-Gillam Ancestry, p. 48:
"Issue [of Humphrey ap Hugh]:
1. ANNE, bapt._____, m. 1649-50 ELLIS AP REES [see footnote 2, p. 48], of Bryn Mawr, Dôlgelly, gentleman, and had: ROWLAND ELLIS.
2. Hugh, bapt. in Llangelynin Church, 7 April, 1628; bur 22 May, 1628.
3. Owen, bapt. in Llangelynin Church, 13 April, 1629; of whom presently [see footnote 3, p. 48].
4. Catherine, bapt. in Llangelynin Church, 15 November 1631; bur. 29 November, 1631.
5. John, bapt. in Llangelynin Church, 16 November, 1632; m. Joan, sister of one Richard Humphrey. They both died in Pennsylvania.
6. Samuel, bapt. in Llangelynin Church, 22 January 1635 [see footnote 4, p. 48]
7. ______, dau., bapt.________.
8. ______, dau., bapt.________."
Footnote 4, p. 48:
"Samuel Humphrey, a celebrated Quaker, died in Merionethshire, but his widow, Elizabeth, daughter of Rees Hugh, with their children, removed to Pennsylvania, 1683. The children of Samuel Humphrey took the surname of 'Humphreys,' which they have since retained. From Samuel Humphrey descended Joshua Humphreys, Naval Constructor, called the Father of the American Navy, and the late General Humphreys, of Pennsylvania, distinguished in the War of the Rebellion, and whose son is now an officer in the United States Army."
From Welsh Settlement of Pensylvania, pp. 150-152:
Two brothers, JOHN HUMPHREY, of Llanwddyn, and SAMUEL HUMPHREY, were Haverford [Pennsylvania] land owners, and their cousin RICHARD HUMPHREY, a purchaser from "Richard Davis Co. No. 7." John and Richard, came over in the "Morning Star," with Hugh Roberts, in 1683, as mentioned.
John and Samuel were sons of Humphrey ap Hugh, of Llwyngrill (1662), and "late of Llwyn du," in Merioneth, d. about 1664-5, by his wife, Elizabeth Powel, daughter of John ap Howel (or Powel, who was buried in the parish church of Llanwddyn, in Montgomeryshire, 24 July, 1636), and his wife, Sibill v. Hugh Gwyn, of Penarth.
They were uncles of Rowland Ellis, of "Bryn Mawr," Merion [Pennsylvania], (whose land adjoined Benjamin Humphrey's land), and also of Robert Owen's wife, Rebecca, (whose farm lay to the eastward on both sides of Montgomery avenue, between Ardmore and Wynnewood), and of John Owen and Josehua Owen, of Merion (1683), (whose property adjoined that of Humphrey), and of Elizabeth, wife of "John Roberts, of the Mill," and "of Wayn Mill," who came from Pen y Chyd, in Denbighshire (whose estate was northward of Humphrey). They were brothers to Owen Humphrey, of Llwyn du, 1625-1695, a J. P. in Merioneth, and a prominent Friend, who was the father of Rebecca, wife of Robert Owen, of Merion, and Elizabeth, wife of John Roberts, aforesaid.
SAMUEL HUMPHREY,... died in Wales. He was married to Elizabeth Rees, on 20. 2mo. 1658, by Morris Wynne and Robert Owen, both justices of the peace, by Friends' ceremony, and it is believed that this was the first marriage of this kind. They had 8 children. His relict and children removed to Haverford.
Another source has baptized 22 Jan 1635.as well.
Samuel married Elizabeth Rees, daughter of Rees Hugh and Unknown, on 20 Feb 1658.