Sir William Herbert First Earl of Pembroke 1 2
- Born: Abt 1423
- Marriage (1): Maud verch Adam
- Died: 27 Jul 1469, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England about age 46
Another name for William was Sir William "Black William" Herbert First Earl of Pembroke.
From Wikipedia - William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke (1423-1469) :
William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke (c. 1423-1469), known as "Black William", was the grandson of Dafydd Gam , an adherent of King Henry V of England .
Herbert supported the Yorkist faction during the Wars of the Roses , as had his father, William ap Thomas . Herbert was rewarded by King Edward IV with the title Lord Herbert of Raglan in 1461, having assumed an English-style surname in place of the Welsh patronymic . In 1468 he was promoted to Earl of Pembroke . He obtained custody of the young Henry, Earl of Richmond , whom he planned to marry to his own daughter. However, he soon fell out with his great rival, Warwick "the Kingmaker" , who turned against the king. Herbert was executed by the Lancastrians , now led by Warwick, after the Battle of Edgecote Moor , near Banbury.
Herbert was succeeded by his legitimate son, William, but the earldom was surrendered in 1479. It was later revived for a grandson, another William Herbert , the son of Black William's illegitimate son, Sir Richard Herbert of Ewyas .
Marriage and children
He married Anne Devereux, daughter of Walter Devereux , Lord Chancellor of Ireland and Elizabeth Merbury. They had at least ten children:
William Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke (5 March 1451 - 16 July 1491 ).
Sir Walter Herbert.
Sir George Herbert of St. Julians.
Philip Herbert of Lanyhangel.
Maud Herbert, Countess of Northumberland . Married Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland .
Katherine Herbert. Married George Grey, 2nd Earl of Kent .
Anne Herbert. Married John Grey, 2nd Lord of Powis .
Isabel Herbert. Married Sir Thomas Cokesey.
Margaret Herbert. Married first Thomas Talbot, 2nd Viscount Lisle and secondly Sir Henry Bodringham.
William had two illegitimate children but the identity of their mother or mothers are uncertain:
Sir Richard Herbert of Ewyas. Father of William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke (1551 creation) .
Sir George Herbert of Swansea. Married Elizabeth Berkeley,
Beheaded after his defeat at the battle of Edgecote Moor near Banbury.
Noted events in his life were:
• Knighted: by King Henry VI.
• Sheriff: of Glamorgan and Morgannoc, 25 Dec 1449.
• Steward: of the Lordship of Abergavenny, Dynas, Usk, Ellewys, Ewyas Lascey, and Caerleon, 5 Feb 1460.
• Privy Councillor, 3 Mar 1461.
• Chief Justice and Chamberlain: of South Wales, 8 May 1461.
• Created: Baron Herbert, of Herbert, 26 Jul 1461.
• K. G, 21 Mar 1462.
• Lord of Dunster, 16 Jun 1463.
• High Forester: of the Royal forests in South Wales for life.
• Constable for life: of the Castles of Usk, Carleon, Dynas, Builth and Clifford, 26 Sep 1466.
• Chief Justice: of North Wales, 28 Aug 1467.
• Earl of Pembroke, 8 Sep 1468.
• Constable: of Beaumaris, Conway, Denbigh, Cardigan, Hardlegh and Caermarthen castles.
• Defeated: at the battle of Edgecote Moor, 27 Jul 1469, [near Banbury], England. with his brother Richard
William had a relationship with Maud verch Adam, daughter of Adam ap Howell Graunt and Unknown.