John Burrows 1 2
- Born: Abt 1829, <Ireland or Scotland>
- Marriage (1): Martha Downey in 1854 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Died: 12 Dec 1877, <Illinois>, United States about age 48
- Buried: Oak Ridge Cemetery, Mercer, Illinois, United States
"From the 1870 census John Burrows was born about 1829 in Ireland and emigrated to the United States at age 19. A family letter indicates he was born in Scotland. After emigrating, John Burrows found employment as a farm hand with the Weyerhauser lumber people in Pennsylvania. It is there that he met his future wife, Martha Downey, who was working as a house maid for the same company. John and Martha were married in Philadelphia in 1854. They came west to Mercer County, Illinois while their son, Samuel, was just a babe.
Unto this union seven children were born: Samuel Frank; Margaret born about 1858; Martha about 1862; Jean or Jane about 1864; Andrew about 1868; Sophrenia born May 1870; and Leah Rebecca born December 16, 1872."
Noted events in his life were:
• Emigrated: from Ireland or Scotland to the United States, 1848.
• Settled, Abt 1856, Illinois, United States.
• Census, 1860, Mercer County, Illinois, United States.
• Census, 7 Jun 1870, Duncan, Mercer, Illinois, United States. Burrows John 41 M W Farmer b. Ireland U.S. citizen - Value of real estate owned $2500; value of personal property $975.
Martha 40 F W. Keeping House b. Ireland
Samuel 14 M W. b. Pennsylvania, in school
Margaret 12 F W. b. Illinois, in school
Martha 8 F W. b. Illinois, in school
Jane 6 F W. b. Illinois, in school
Andrew 2 M W. b. Illinois
Sophronia 1/12 F. W. b. Illinois
John married Martha Downey in 1854 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. (Martha Downey was born about 1830 in <Londonderry>, Ireland, died on 5 Jul 1912 in <Illinois>, United States and was buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Mercer, Illinois, United States.)