John FitzGeoffrey of Fambridge, Essex 1 2
- Born: Abt 1215, Shere, Surrey, England
- Marriage (1): Isabel Bigod before 12 Apr 1234
- Died: 23 Nov 1258 about age 43
Another name for John was John Fitz Geoffrey Justiciar of Ireland.
Second husband of Isabel Bigod.
From Wikipedia - John Fitzgeoffrey :
John FitzGeoffrey, Lord of Shere and Justiciar of Ireland B. 1205 ? in Shere, Surrey - D. November 23 , 1258 . He was the son of Geoffrey Fitz Peter, 1st Earl of Essex and Aveline de Clare, daughter of Roger de Clare, 3rd Earl of Hertford & his wife Maud de Saint-Hilaire. He was Justiciar of Ireland. He was not entitled to succeed his half-brother as Earl of Essex in 1227, the Earldom having devolved from his father's first wife. He was the second husband to Isabel Bigod, daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk & his wife Maud Marshal of Pembroke. They had six children, one being Maud who married William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick .
Note: The males took the FitzJohn surname ("fitz " mean "son of").
1. John FitzJohn of Shere (?-1275). m Margary, daughter of Philip Basset of Wycombe (?-1271).
2. Richard FitzJohn of Shere (?-1297). Lord FitzJohn 1290 . m as her first husband, Emma (?-1332).
3. Maud (? - 16/18 Apr 1301 ). Married firstly to Gerard de Furnivalle, Lord of Hallamshire (?-1261). Married secondly to William de Beauchamp, 9th Earl of Warwick , son of William de Beauchamp of Elmley, Worcestershire & his wife Isabel Mauduit.
4. Isabel m Robert de Vespont, Lord of Westmoreland (?-1264).
5. Aveline (?-1274) m Walter de Burgh, Earl of Ulster (?-1271).
6. Joan (?-1303) m Theobald le Botiller of Thurles, Nenagh (?-1285).
Noted events in his life were:
• Lord of Shere.
• Justiciar of Ireland, 1245-1256.
John married Isabel Bigod, daughter of Hugh Bigod 3rd Earl of Norfolk and Maud Marshal, before 12 Apr 1234. (Isabel Bigod was born about 1212 in Thetford, Norfolk, England and died in 1250.)