Major Edward Dorsey [Jr.] of "Dorsey" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
- Born: Abt 1640, <Lower Norfolk, Virginia>, (United States)
- Marriage (1): Sarah Wyatt on 12 Oct 1671 in Anne Arundel, Maryland, United States
- Marriage (2): Margaret Ruth Larkin about 1693 in Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States)
- Died: After 26 Oct 1704, <Major's Choice>, Baltimore Co., Maryland, (United States)
- Buried: <Major's Choice, Baltimore Co.>, Maryland, (United States)
Another name for Edward was Colonel Edward Dorsey of "Dorsey."
Patented "Hockley-in-the-Hole" on the south side of the Severn with his brothers John and Joshua.
From Side-Lights on Maryland History, Vol. 2, pp. 87-91:
"Hockley-in-the-Hole, originally taken up by Edward Darcy, was in 1664 patented to his sons Edward, Joshua and John, the original patent bearing date August 20, 1664, being still in the possession of the present owner of Hockley, Miss Anne Elizabeth Dorsey, lineal descendant of all three of the original patentees. In the year 1681 'Edward Dorsey, Gent. of Ann Arundell County, Son and heir of Edward Dorsey late of said County deceased' assigned his right to his brother John. The parchment document granting Hockley to the three Dorsey brothers bears the autograph of Charles, third Lord Baltimore, and was given under the Great Seal of the Province.
"Major Edward Dorsey, later known as Colonel, Judge in the High Court of Chancery, and Keeper of the Great Seal, was active in military affairs, and was also a Gentleman Justice of Anne Arundel County. His house on Prince George's Street, Annapolis, was probably built when he disposed of his interest in Hockley to his youngest brother the 'Honorable John Dorsey.'
"Colonel Edward Dorsey's house in the ancient city was the largest mansion there when upon the removal of the capital from St. Mary's the seat of government was changed to what is now Annapolis, and so it became the home of the Royal Governor Sir Francis Nicholson, and the meeting place of the Assembly until permanent public buildings could be erected.
"...It was at the house on Prince George's Street that Major Edward Dorsey lived during the lifetime of his first wife, Sarah Wyatt, while the Honorable John Dorsey, captain of the Baltimore County militia in later years, took possession of Hockley, three miles from Annapolis, over which his wife, Madam Pleasance Ely, presided, of whom it has been noted--perhaps as a warning to her descendants, that her name was in no sense suggestive of her disposition.
"Certain it is that the amiable Sarah, wife of Major Edward Dorsey, died, after bearing six sons and two daughters to her liege lord, while 'Pleasance,' of austere memory, buried the 'Honorable John,' and was led a second time to the altar by Thomas Wainwright. Upon the death of Sarah Wyatt, his wife, Major Edward Dorsey keeper of the Great Seal, wooed and won young Margarey Larkin, who became the mother of four sons and one daughter.
"In the year 1692 Major Edward Dorsey was one of the committee appointed to read and inspect the laws of the Province, and a few years later we find him a commissioner in Chancery.
"He was one of the first to contribute to the fund for establishing free schools in Maryland, was a trustee of King William and Mary School, and was given authority to conduct the arrangements for the building of St. Anne's Church, of which he was a vestryman. On account of the inability to secure workmen he resigned the latter commission.
"Although referred to as Major in the Archives, the title of 'Colonel' is given Edward Dorsey in the settlement of his estate, indicating that he attained the higher military honor before his death.
"The inventory of Colonel Edward Dorsey's estate bears evidence of his manner of life, for the bequests of silver tankards and cordial cups, silver-hilted swords, chafing dish and other evidences of the convenience and elegancies, indicate that he kept up the dignity incident to a Provincial Justice and Keeper of the Great Seal and field officer of the Colonial troops in his county. His seal gold ring, which was left to his son, Edward, was probably the one used later by Edward and Joshua in sealing a joint deed. The impression of these seals has caused no little conuecture, because of the device and motto which must have belonged to a maternal line. The small shield has in the center a hand holding an upright unsheathed sword, with the motto 'An Por Peth' surrounding it. As both Breek scholars and those versed in old Gaelic have found this too hard a problem to solve, I give it as interesting study to the many who spring from the early Dorseys.
"...The Dorsey men have largely inclined to the law, and several of the descendants of the distinguished Judge of the High Court of Chancery, Major Edward Dorsey, have occupied seats on the Maryland bench..."
From Genealogical and Memorial Encyclopedia of the State of Maryland, p. 610-611:
"In 1667, Edward Dorsey [Jr.] assigned to Cornelius Howard his right to land for transporting seven persons into the Province. 'Dorsey,' held by Edward Dorsey, gave the name to Dorsey's creek, upon which was located Thomas Gates, whose will of 1659 provided that 'Edward Dorsey's children shall have free outlet to the woods and spring, as formerly I have given them.' He therefore had children, although it is not known whether they followed him to the Province or traveled between the Province and England; but an early record read: 'Robert Bullen demands lands for bringing a number of passengers, amongst whom was Edward Dorsey, in 1661.' The record continues: 'August 24, 1664, patented to him (Edward Dorsey, Jr.) and to John and Joshua Dorsey, a plantation called "Hockley-in-the-Hole," originally 400 acres (later resurvey, 842 acres), near the site of Annapolis.' Edward Dorsey died prior to 1681, for on December 6th of that year, Edward Dorsey of Anne Arundel county, Gent., son of Edward Dorsey, late of said county, deceased, conveys his interest in 'Hockley-in-the-Hole' to his brother John Dorsey...
"Colonel Edward Dorsey, son of Edward Dorsey, the American ancestor, came to Maryland before 1664. He is doubtless the Edward Dorsey brought over by Robert Bullen in 1661; but whether this was his first trip across the sea is not known. He was a Justice for the County of Anne Arundel in 1679, again in 1686, and again in 1689; was styled 'Captain' in 1686, 'Major' in 1687; commissioned Major of Horse, of Anne Arundel county, September 4, 1689; Major of Anne Arundel county, October 9, 1694; was commissioned Associate Commissioner in Chancery, October 17, 1694; Burgess of Anne Arundel county in 1694, again in 1695, 1696, 1697, and for Baltimore county, 1701-1705. He was Commissioner, also Judge of High court of Chancery, March 2, 1695-96; and was styled 'Colonel' in 1702; was one of the committee in 1694 to lay out town lots and a common for Annapolis, Trustee of King William and Mary School in 1696, and a Commissioner for the erection of St. Anne's Church, Annapolis. The first session of the Legislature in Annapolis was held at the house of Major Edward Dorsey, commencing February 28, 1694-95. Prior to 1700, and after his marriage to his second wife, Margaret Larkin, Colonel Edward Dorsey removed from Annapolis to 'Major's Choice,' west of Waterloo, and north of the Old Brick Church. Colonel Dorsey's sons by Sarah Wyatt, his first wife, were located near him upon 'Long Beach' and Major's Choice.' Colonel Dorsey owned landed estates not only in Anne Arundel county, but also in Baltimore county. Colonel Edward Dorsey died at 'Major's Choice' (now Howard county), in 1705. His will is dated October 26, 1704, and was proved December 31, 1705...."
From The Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, p. 30:
"South-side Severn settlements were increased in 1662. Matthew Howard, who had come up from Lower Norfolk, Virginia, in 1650, with his neighbor and relative, Edward Lloyd, had died before 1659, but his five sons now came. They were Captain Cornelius Howard, of 'Howard's Heirship and Chance'; Samuel Howard, of 'Howard's Hope'; John Howard, of 'Howard's Interest'' all adjoining near Round Bay. Philip and Matthew were on North Severn. In 1664, the three sons of Edward Dorsey, the immigrant of 1650--relatives of the Howards--took up and patented their father's survey of 'Hockley-in-the-Hole.' They were Colonel Edward Dorsey, Joshua and Hon. John Dorsey, prominent leaders in political movements and representatives in legislative measures."
Ibid., p. 57:
"From 1680 to 1705, Major Dorsey was in every movement looking to the development of the colony. From 1694 to 1696 he was Judge of the High Court of Chancery, during which time he was commissioned to hold the Great Seal. In 1694, he was a member of the House of Burgesses for Anne Arundel, and from 1697 to his death, in 1705, was a member from Baltimore County (now Howard). He was one of the subscribers and treasurer of the fund for building St. Anne's church, and a free school for the province also received his aid. He signed the protestant address from Baltimore County to the King's most gracious Majestie, upon the succession of King William III--an appeal in behalf of Charles Lord Baron of Baltimore, whose proprietary government had been wrested from the family through the influence of Captain John Coode. Though a Protestant, he was found in support of a government which left religious faith untouched."
Ibid., p. 58:
"As Major of the Horse, he joined Captain Edward Burgess, in asking for additional arms and ammunition for defense.
"In 1694, Major Dorsey was upon the committee with Major John Hammond, Hon. John Dorsey, Captain Philip Howard, Major Nicholas Greenberry and John Bennett, to layout town lots and a town common for 'the town of Proctor,' or Annapolis. In 1705, he sold a row of houses upon Bloomsbury Square, Annapolis, which had been entailed to his children, but which, for want of tenants, had greatly depreciated.
"At the time of his death, he was living on 'Major's Choice,' now Howard County."
(1a) 1681, 6 Dec: Edward DORSY, "Son and heir of Edward DORSY late of the County of Ann Arundell" sold the parcel Hockley in the Hole granted to "the said Edward DORSY, Joshua DORSY and John DORSEY my brothers" on 20 Aug. 1664.
130. Colonel Col. Edward Dorsey, born 1646 in Virginia25,26; died [estate probated] 31 Dec 1705 in Major's Choice, Baltimore Co., MD26. He was the son of 260. Edward D'Arcy and 261. Anne Howard. He married 131. Sarah Wyatt Bef. 1670 in Anne Arundel Co., MD27,28.
131. Sarah Wyatt28, born 1657 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland29,30; died 1690 in Anne Arundel Co., Maryland31,32. She was the daughter of 262. Nicholas Wyatt and 263. Damaris Stockett.
Notes for Colonel Col. Edward Dorsey:
[Ancestors of Abednego Baker by Muriel Schulz.ged]
Anne Arimde Gentry, pp. 11ff]: January 4, 1700/01: [Provincial Court, Liber TL no. 2, folios 169, 279]
Edward Dorsey, of Baltimore County, and Margaret his wife, "for disposing of goods and chattels for advancement of our children after death" assigned to his "well-beloved friends, Major John Hammond, Captain Charles Hammond and my oldest son Edward Dorsey" four plantations bordering his dwelling-plantation at Elk Ridge and one on the south side of the Patapsco a little beyond the Falls with Negroes, livestock, household furniture whereon in trust for his five sons, that is, Samuel, Joshua, John, Nicholas, and Benjamin.
To son Samuel the Patapsco plantation with three Negroes and other personalty.
To son Joshua the plantation "where Black Dick lives" with 100 adjoining acres, Negroes, and other personalty.
 To son John plantation that Negro Bacon "now lives on" with 100 acres, Negroes.
To son Nicholas the plantation "that Negro Tom lives on" with 100 acres.
To son Benjamin piece of land between Dick and Bacon.
In the event that any of the said sons died without issue then their estates were to be divided equally among their lawful heirs, but if any son proved "rudely," then the trustees had the power to bind him to a trade.
On June 25, 1702, Edward Dorsey for 90 lbs. bought of Colonel John Larkin and Thomas Larkin, of Anne Arundel, a portion of "United Friendship" on the north side of the Patapsco in Baltimore County as laid out for 350 acres. [Testamentary Proceedings, Liber 6, folio 613]
1679 - Made a Justice of the Peace for Anne Arundel Co. And a Gentleman Justice of the Quorum. Continued to serve for several years.
1681 - Petitioned the Commissioner of Accounts to pay him for 15 days of service to the Province. Also received at one time 375 lbs. Tobacco and at another 390 lbs.
1683 - Placed on the Commission for the advancement of trade and for the laying out of ports in AA Co. Also was on a committee with Henry Ridgely, Nicholas Gassaway, and William Richardson to erect a building for the Courts and Assembly of the Province, and for the keeping of records of the Secretary's Office.
1686 - Styled Captain of His Lordship's Army; Gentleman Justice of the Quorum.
Later rose to Colonel of His Lordship's Army.
1694 - Entered the General Assembly as a delegate from Anne Arundel Co. And served in all succeeding sessions of the Lower House until his death.  As Major Dorsey was on the Commission to erect the court house and the free school for Anne Arundel Towne.
1695 -  Made a keeper of the Great Seal of the Province.
1696 - Granted the contract for the erection of the first church of St. Anne. Ultimately fined for failure to complete by the allotted date. [Extended discussion on page 14 of Anne Arundel Gentry.]
Nov. 28, 1689, he with other prominent men endorsed a petition to the "Most Gracious Majesty King William III" setting forth the privileges which they had received under the deposed Charles, Lord Baron of Baltimore, and protested against the intrigue of John Coode who with others undermined the Proprietary Government. [Document is in the London Public Records Office.]
He was a Jacobean and a supporter of the House of Stuart.
Probably his house at Annapolis no longer exists. Although the DAR has placed a plaque on a house alleged to have been his, it was built after his death.
 In 1698, Major Dorsey was on the commission to settle the boundary between Baltimore and Anne Arundel Counties.
1694 - One of the first subscribers for the founding of a free school in the province. Subscribed 2000 lbs. of tobacco and was made a trustee of the system.
1704 - After the state house, built in 1696, burnt, the General Assembly held its sessions in a house rented from Col. Edward Dorsey.
1705 - Sold 3 houses on "Bloomsbury Square" to Lord Baltimore for the storing of arms and ammunition.
26 Oct. 1704 - will dated, on file in Annapolis.
Witnessed by Katherine Organ, John Huntsmen, John Dorsey, and John Ball.
27 Dec. 1705 - Probated in Baltimore County.
The inventory and appraisement of Edward Dorsey's personal estate was made by Thomas Hammond and William Talbott. The inventory was taken at the "seated plantation," and also at the Upper Plantation, Elk Ridge Quarters, the Round Bay Plantation, in the Store House and in the Little Flat House. There were books, a gold seal ring, a silver seal ring, an ivory headed can, silver tobacco box, silver hilted sword, silver plate, and surveying chain. His wearing apparel was appraised at &7/10/- lbs. There were also 13 Negro slaves and 2 white indentured servants. Samuel Dorsey, the eldest surviving son, approved the valuation of 528/8/11 lbs. It was filed at court on April 1, 1706. [Wills, Liber 3, folio 725]
By Feb. 15, 1706/07 the widow had married John Israel. Both filed accounts on that date.
An account filed by John Israel on Oct. 24, 1710 reported that 8 Negroes had been given to Col. Dorsey's children in his lifetime.
From Lee Garlock:
Col Edward DORSEY was born about 1640 in Virginia. He died after 26 Oct 1704 in Anne Arundel Co., MD. In the estate of Thomas Chandler (Inn keeper of Anne Arundel Co) 2 Dec 1675, Edward Darsey is listed in the list of debts due estate. He was married to Sarah WYATT before Nov 1670 in Anne Arundel Co., MD.
Edward Dorsey practiced law and was a Justice of Anne Arundel Co from 1679 to 1685. In 1686, he was appointed Captain in the Militia. He was promoted to Major in 1687, served as field officer of Calvert Co in 1694, and was promoted to Colonel in 1702. He was Judge of the High Court of Chancery and Keeper of the Great Seal from 1695 to 1697. He was a member of the House of Burgesses from Anne Arundel Co from 1694 to 1697 and from Baltimore Co from 1701 to 1704. (KG Lindsay, 'Grandpas, Inlaws & Outlaws')
More About Colonel Col. Edward Dorsey:
Fact 1: Ship Builder during part of his life.33,34
Fact 2: A member of Jacobite Party.35,36
Fact 3: 1681, Hockley Deed - See notes for brother John36
Fact 4: 1689, Signed petition to King Wm. III supporting Lord Baltimore.37,38
Fact 5: 28 Feb 1694/95, First Assembly of MD met in his house.39,40
Fact 6: Bet. 1699 - 1705, Census - Tax Rolls41,42
Confusion on the part of researchers about the death date of Edward Darcy, the colonist, and whether it was he or his son, Major Edward Dorsey, in a number of transactions and records after the shipwreck in 1659, in which an "Edward Darcy" drowned. Edward Darcy was a shipwright. His son Edward may have been one as well.
April 1667 - Edward Darcy, of the County of Anne Arundell, boatwright, sold to George Yate 200 acres granted to Darcy in Nov 1650 and half a warrant of four hundred acres granted to him and Capt. Norwood in Feb. 1651. In Aug 1668, Yates reassigned to Dorsey 68 acres of above tract and later in the year assigned 60 more acres called "Darsy." Edward bought 300 acres of land in 1655 from Thomas Marsh/March. His son Edward sold this tract Nov 6, 1670 to Thomas Manniage of the Cliffs.
"A question arises as to whether the Edward Darcy who signed the paper in 1667 was the Edward Darcy who bought and sold land in the 1650s. Caroline Kemper assumes that it is the same person and that a different, unrelated Edward Dorsey died in a boating accident in 1659. Other historians think that Edward Dorsey one bought and sold the property in the 1650s but that his son signed the papers in the 1670s.
"From Maryland Genealogies, "The Identity of Edward Dorsey I," by Caroline Kemper Bulkley, 1938, pp. 398-399:
"The record in the Land Office (Liber II, [Margin Liber G G] (98)) reads: '(125) Edward Dorsey assigns to George Yate 400 acres: Warrant XI November M.D.C.L. (1650); to Edward Dorsey for 200 acres of land the which he assigned away as followeth; as also 200 acres more part of a warrant for 400 acres granted John Norwood and Edward Dorsey dated xxiiij February MDCLi (1651); said Dorsey of County of Ann [sic] Arundell, Boatwright, consideration already received, all my right, title, interest, claim and demand of an--in a warrant for 200 acres of land bearing date sixteen hundred and fifty [so written out] and also to 200 acres more being the one half of a warrant for 400 acres, the one half belong to Capt. Norwood bearing date one thousand six hundred fifty one unto George Yate, etc.'"
"The date of this assignment, duly signed and sealed, is April 23, 1667, and the witness is John Howard, eldest son of the Virginia Matthew and Ann Howard. A year later (August 24, 1668) there is a deed filed from Yate to Dorsey for sixty-eight acres of the above "Dorsey" tract. In the same year one James Connoway assigned back the "right for 1000 acres" to George Yate, who transfers sixty acres to "Darsy." . . . .
"It is contended that the Edward Dorsey who signed the records of 1667-1668 may have been the son Edward. This is highly improbable, since Edward Dorsey the younger could not have had land in his own rights from warrants cited of 1650 and 1651, nor did he ever name himself as "boatwright" in the documents known to bear his signature.
"Those who deny that the record quoted was signed by Edward Dorsey, Senior, argue from the story many times repeated that he was drowned in 1659. No evidence has ever been produced to prove this: there is an authentic record of an Edward Dorsey who was drowned, but who the person was, or whether the name may be mistakenly recorded cannot be determined.
"It is clear that the signer of the 1667-1668 deeds was the father Edward Dorsey, and as further testimony that he was alive after 1659 is a document assigning land--the Bush-Manning tract-- bought by "My father Edward Dorsey from Thomas Marsh in 1661." This same land is later confirmed to Manning in a warrant and power of attorney to Sheriff Stockett from Colonel Edward Dorsey, the son, giving these facts.
From Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, pp. 193-194:
In 1694 Governor Nicholson met in Council at the Court House in Anne Arundel Town and issued an order for the removal of the records from the city of St. Mary's to Anne Arundel Town, to be conveyed in good, strong bags, to be secured with cordage and hides, and well packed, with guards to attend them night and day, and to be delivered to the Sheriff of Anne Arundel County, at Anne Arundel Town. This removal took place in the winter of 1694-5.
The first Assembly was held in a house of Major Edward Dorsey on 28th February 1694, O. S., and in 1695, the town became Annapolis, with a resident naval officer and a public ferry across the Severn...
The foundation of the first State House was laid April 30, 1696. In June, 1697, the building was so well advanced as to be set apart for public use... Struck by lightning in 1699 and entirely consumed by fire in 1704, the first State House had but a brief existence. This gav e Governor Seymour occasion to say, "I never saw any public building left solely to Providence but in Maryland."
Major Dorsey's house was again rented for the Assembly Hall until a new State House could be built...
A Commission, consisting of Major John Hammond, Major Edward Dorsey, Mr. John Bennett, Hon. John Dorsey, Mr. Andrew Norwood, Captain Philip Howard, Mr. James Saunders and Colonel Nicholas Greenberry laid out the town. Four of these were property holders on the North Severn side and four were residents of Middle Nick. They were authorized to buy, or condemn, all that parcel of land within the present Grave Yard Creek and Spa Creek, to be fenced in and called the Town Common, or Pasture; Governor Nicholson's lot was within this enclosure, which ran along East Street to State House Circle...
A picture is extant of a house, No. 83 Prince George Street, Anapolis, which tradition decides is a part of the house owned by Major Edward Dorsey, which became the first Governor's mansion, being later occupied by Governor Nicholson. The house is well preserved and is of solid architecture [as of 1905]....
In 1696 the Assembly of Annapolis appointed His Excellency, Sir Francis Nicholson, Sir Thomas Lawrence, Hon. Nicholas Greenberry, Hon. Thomas Tench, Major Hammond, Major Edward Dorsey, Mr. James Saunders and Captain Richard Hill a Commission "for keeping good rules and orders," making them a body corporate for the new capital. Mr. Richard Beard, surveyor, made a map of the place...
"That part of the land which lye on ye creeke by Major Dorsey's house, whereby His Excellency at present lives, to be sett aside for public buildings, and if in case the same happen to come within any of ye said Major's lotts--we proposed that land be given him elsewhere for it."
A forty-foot water front for warehouses was reserved, and a committee was appointed to consider the erection of a church. Major Edward Dorsey, of that committee, reported a fund already in "banck" amounting to £458. The carpenter's estimate was £250; brick maker, £90; bricklayer, having all stuff upon the place, £220. The entire charge would amount to £1,200. The Assembly imposed a three-pence tax on tobacco to be continued until May 12, 1698, to be appied to building a church at Annapolis...
From http://www.eskimo.com/~bgudgel/gudgarc1 :
i. Col. Edward DORSEY was born about 1662 in State of Virginia.20 He served in the military in 1686 in Anne Arundel Co, MD. He was Captain of the Militia of AA County. He was Major Dorsey in 1687. He was recommissioned major on September 4, 1689 and again October 9, 1694. He held office Member of the House of Burgesses representing Anne Arundel County, MD in 1694 in Anne Arundel Co, MD.28,29 "Major Edward Dorsey, by act of the Assembly in 1694, was appointed one of the first commissioners for the 'Town Land at Proctor,' now Annapolis." "It was at the house of Major Edward Dorsey that the first Assembly of Maryland held in the new capital of the Province met on February 28, 1695. The major was an avowed supporter of Charles, Third Lord Baltimore. In 1689 he signed a petition to King William III endorsed by many prominent men of Maryland, 'setting forth the privileges which they had received under the deposed Lord Baltimore and protested against the intrigue of John Coode who, with others, undermined the Proprietary Government.' He was a member of the Jacobite Party, and other accused Jacobites were Colonel Henry Darnall, a Roman Catholic, Samuel Chew II, a Quaker, and Mareen Duval, a Protestant." (Anne Arundel Gentry) He died in 1705 in State of Maryland.20 At the time of his death he was residing on "Major's Choice" (now in Howard County). His will is recorded both at Annapolis and at Baltimore. It mentions various tracts of land; Hockley on the Patapsco Falls, land on the north side of the Patapsco River, Barnes Folly, Major's Choice, Long Reach at Elkridge, and two other sections by the same name. There were also slaves and personal estate mentioned. His executrix was "My beloved wife, Margaret"... of whom he left five minor children, Charles, Larkin, Francis, Edward and Ann, also mentioned in his will. He held office Justice of Anne Arundel County, Maryland 1679 to 1685. He held office Member of House of Burgesses representing Howard County, Maryland 1679 to 1705. He held office Keeper of the Great Seal of the Province of Maryland 1681 and 1696. He held office Judge of the High Court of Chancery 1694 to 1698 in Anne Arundel Co, MD. He Migrated to Maryland.20 Major Edward Dorsey came up with his wife and family from Virginia to Maryland. Edward Dorsey was a man with many irons in the fire; he was a planter, boatwright, builder, lawyer and was much involved in the governmental affairs of the colony. He was a member of a committee commissioned to lay out town lots and a common and to build the court house and free school in Annapolis in 1694. Edward contributed 2,000 pounds of tobacco for the founding of the free-school in Annapolis. The school, then called "King William's School" was later to be known as St. John's College, one of the three oldest colleges in America. According to the records of the Archives of Maryland, Edward Dorsey represented Anne Arundel County rom 1694-1697 at the House of Burgesses, first legislative body for America convened at Jamestown in 1691. The first session of the Legislature in Annapolis was held in the home of Major Edward Dorsey, beginning February 28, 1694/95. From 1701-1705 he represented Baltimore County. He was a delegate to the Maryland Assembly from 1696 to 1704. He was active in military affairs rising through the ranks. In 1686 he was Captain of the Militia, a major in 1687, field officer in 1694, and colonel in 1702. (Maryland Archives Volumes, 5, 13-15, 19-20, 24, 26). He had large land holdings in both Anne Arundel and Baltimore Counties, some of which he had inherited from his father, including "Hockley-in-the-Hole" and "Major's Choice." These two parcels were handed down through many generations in the Dorsey line. He also owned "Major's Fancy," "Long Reach," "United Friendship," and "Owen's Adventure." In addition he held several parcels of land in and around the Port of Annapolis. His home in Annapolis was built of brick and materials from England. In its day this house was considered large and spacious, rising to two levels. Fine English gardens sloped down in the back to Prince George's Creek. It stands today on Prince George Street. The family lived prior to the building of the Annapolis home on the plantation at Elk Ridge in Baltimore County, located midway between Baltimore and Annapolis on a deep-water inlet at the mouth of the Patspsco River. Edward was a vestryman at St. Anne's Parish. He was a subscriber to and treasurer of the fund for building St. Anne's Church and was given authority to conduct arrangements for the building of the church but resigned due to inability to find workmen. In politics Edward Dorsey was a supporter of the Stuart Kings and the Jacobean Party. Once William of Orange dethroned the Stuart King, Dorsey was recommended in a letter written by Michajoh Perry to John Povey in London 17 Oct 1691. It says that Perry had met "a gentleman, one M. John Hammond, who presented him a list of Gentlemen in Maryland; good, honest, substantial Protestants, who are well affected." The list recommended "to be of their Majesty's Council...Major Edward Dorsey and Thomas Lawrence." (Maryland Archives Liber 8, folio 283-285). Edward was a Protestant but held in great esteem the Government that respected religious liberty. He was one of the signers of the Protestant Address from Baltimore County to King William III, an appeal on behalf of Charles, Lord Baron of Baltimore, the proprietary government having been siezed from the Calvert family through the influence of Capt. John Coode.
"Although Edward was raised a Quaker, he was listed as "Protestant" as an adult. He was a planter, merchant, and contractor. After Edward sold his share of "Hockley-in-the-Hole" to his brother John, Edward probably built a large home on Prince George's Street in Annapolis; there is confusion over whether it became the home of Gov. Sir Francis NICKOLSON, where the Assembly met for a while. Edward was a judge in the Chancery court. His strong support of Lord Baltimore brought his dismissal from the bench and from the militia after 1689. He went to England to testify against the Protestant Associators in 1690. Two years later he was accused of being a Jacobite. He was quite active politically; referred to first as Col., more usually as Major. Edward was involved in contesting the will of Nicholas WYATT, father of his first wife, Sarah, in 1673. Edward was one of the original trustees for King William's School in Annapolis, founded in 1696. His estate inventory was valued at £721.9.8 sterling, and included 13 enslaved people and 2 servants."
Some sources have b. abt 1646 in Virginia
At the time of his death he was living on "Major's Choice," [now in Howard County?], Maryland.
Noted events in his life were:
• Religion: Protestant, Abt 1661. He was raised as a Quaker but identified himself as a "Protestant" as an adult.
• Demand: for lands by Robert Bullen for bringing a number of passengers, one of whom was Edward Dorsey, 1661, Maryland, (United States). This is undoubtedly the Edward Dorsey whom Robert Bullen transported. It is unknown whether this was his first trip, however. It is also unclear whether the demand for lands was made to this Edward Dorsey (now about 21 years of age) or his father (who may have died in the shipwrect in 1659).
• Patented: "Theobush Manning," 300 or 600 acres inherited from his father, 1661, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). According to one source, before 1655 Edward Darcy and Thomas Manning purchased 600-acre "Theobush Manning" in an area of St. Mary's County that became part of the newly-erected Calvert County in 1663. This does not sound like the right location, as compared to other sources, which place it in Anne Arundel County. The land is now occupied by part of the Naval Academy and Bloomsbury Square in Annapolis (Anne Arundel County in 1661). It was not patented until 1661, by which time the "Edward Dorsey" in the patent may have been Major Edward Dorsey, son of Edward Darcy the colonist.
• Removed to: Maryland, Bef 1664.
• Patented: "Hockley-in-the-Hole" on the south side of the Severn with his brothers John and Joshua, 20 Aug 1664, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). The entire "Hockley" grant may have consisted of 2,000 acres. It was near the site of Annapolis, on Cabin Neck Brook, a tributary of the Severn River.
• Assigned: his right to land to Cornelius Howard for transporting seven persons into the Province, 1667.
• Sold: 200 acres granted to his father in November 1650 and 200 acres granted to him in February 1651 to George Yate, Apr 1667. A total of 400 acres were sold to George Yate. Whether the Edward Darcy of Anne Arundel County was Edward Darcy, the colonist, or his son Edward is in dispute, as the father may have drowned in 1659.
• Assigned: his original 400 acres [Theobush Manning?] to George Yate, 22 Oct 1667, <Calvert>, Maryland, (United States).
• Acquired: "Long Reach" at Elk Ridge: Baltimore (Howard), Maryland, (United States). "Long Reach" was near "Major's Choice."
• Purchased: "Dorsey," 60 acres on Dorsey's Creek from George Yate, Abt Sep 1668, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). Thomas Gates gave Edward and his children free outlet to the woods and spring across his land.
• Acquired: "Barnes Folly."
• Sold: 300 acres to Thomas Manniage of the Cliffs, 6 Nov 1670, <Anne Arundel>, Maryland, (United States). His father had purchased this tract from Thomas Marsh/March in 1655.
• Appointed: as a Justice of the Peace for the County and a Gentleman Justice of the Quorum, 1679, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). He served for several years.
• Transferred: his right in "Hockley-in-the-Hole" to his brother John Dorsey, 1681, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). From Side-Lights on Maryland History, Vol. 2, p. 91:
"Hockley-in-the-Hole, originally taken up by Edward Darcy, was in 1664 patented to his sons Edward, Joshua and John, the original patent bearing date August 20, 1664, being still in the possession of the present owner of Hockley, Miss Anne Elizabeth Dorsey, lineal descendant of all three of the original patentees. In the year 1681 'Edward Dorsey, Gent. of Ann Arundell County, Son and heir of Edward Dorsey late of said County deceased' assigned his right to his brother John. The parchment document granting Hockley to the three Dorsey brothers bears the autograph of Charles, third Lord Baltimore, and was given under the Great Seal of the Province."
• Built: house on Prince George's Street, Abt 1681, Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). He lived there with his wife Sarah during her life, and he may have remained there after her death in 1690.
• Styled: Captain of His Lordship's Army, 1686.
• Served: as a Justice for the County, 1686, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Styled: "Major," 1687.
• Acquired: "Major's Choice," 12 Jun 1688, Baltimore (Howard), Maryland, (United States). This property was located west of Waterloo, north of the Old Brick Church. Major Dorsey removed there from Annapolis after the death of his first wife, Sarah Wyatt, in 1690 and before his marriage to his second wife, Margaret Larkin, about 1693
• Served: as a Justice for the County, 1689, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Commissioned: Major of the Horse, 4 Sep 1689, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Relocated: to "Major's Choice" from Annapolis, Between 1690 and 1693, Anne Arundel (Howard), Maryland, (United States). This property was located west of Waterloo, north of the Old Brick Church. Major Dorsey removed there from Annapolis after the death of his first wife, Sarah Wyatt, in 1690 and before his marriage to his second wife, Margaret Larkin, about 1693
• Party: Jacobite and a supporter of the House of Stuart.
• Signed: a petition to King William III in support of Lord Baltimore, 28 Nov 1689, Maryland, (United States).
• Served: as a member of the Maryland House of Burgesses for Anne Arundel, 1694-1697, Maryland, (United States). Entered the General Assembly in 1694 as a delegate from Anne Arundel Co., and served in all succeeding sessions of the Lower House until his death. After 1701 he represented Baltimore County.
• Served: as Judge of the High Court of Chancery, 1694-1696, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). Commissioned to hold the Great Seal
• Served: on the committee to lay out town lots and a common for the town of "Proctor" (now Annapolis), 1694, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Served: as Major, 9 Oct 1694, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Commissioned: Associate Commissioner in Chancery, 17 Oct 1694, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Provided: his house for the first session of the Assembly of Maryland, 28 Feb 1695, Anne Arundel Town (Annapolis), Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). Anne Arundel Town was renamed Annapolis some time in 1695. The house no longer exists.
• Served: as Keeper of the Great Seal, 1695-1697, Maryland, (United States).
• Served: as a Trustee of King William and Mary School, 1696, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Appointed: Commissioner and Judge of the High Court of Chancery, 2 Mar 1696, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Served: as a Commissioner for the erection of St. Anne's Church, Abt 1696, Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Assigned: part of 4 plantations bordering his own on Elk Ridge to his "well-beloved" friend Major John Hammond, 4 Jan 1701, Baltimore (Anne Arundel then Howard), Maryland, (United States). "for disposing of goods and chattels for advancement of our children after death"
• Assigned: part of 4 plantations bordering his own on Elk Ridge to his "well-beloved" friend Captain Charles Hammond, 4 Jan 1701, Baltimore (Anne Arundel then Howard), Maryland, (United States). "for disposing of goods and chattels for advancement of our children after death"
• Assigned: part of 4 plantations bordering his own on Elk Ridge to his eldest son Edward, 4 Jan 1701, Baltimore (Anne Arundel then Howard), Maryland, (United States).
• Assigned: a plantation on the south side of the Patapsco a little beyond the Falls to John Hammond, Charles Hammond and his eldest son, Edward, 4 Jan 1701, Baltimore (Anne Arundel then Howard), Maryland, (United States). This plantation was to be held in trust for his five sons Samuel, Joshua, John, Nicholas and Benjamin.
• Served: as a member of the Maryland House of Burgesses for Baltimore County, 1701-1705, Maryland, (United States).
• Styled: "Colonel," 1702.
• Purchased: a portion of "United Friendship," 350 acres on the north side of Patapsco River, 25 Jun 1702, Baltimore Co., Maryland, (United States). Deeded to him by Colonel John Larken and Thomas Larkin for £90. This may have been "Hockley" on the Patapsco Falls.
• Purchased: 225 acres of 450-acre "Owings' Adventure" from Capt. Richard Owings for £40, 13 Mar 1704, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). "Owings' Adventure" (aka "Owens' Adventure") was located on the west side of the Patapsco, to the north of Col. Taylor's land. Major Edward bought the northwest half. The date may have been 13 Aug 1704.
• Will, 26 Oct 1704, <Baltimore City>, Baltimore, Maryland, (United States). From Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, pp. 58-59:
To my son Lacon, my tract "Hockley," on the Patapsco Falls. To sons Charles, Lacon, Francis and Edward, my lands on the north side of Patapsco River. (These were deeded to him by John and Thomas Larkin, 1702). To my beloved wife, Margaret, my personal estate. To my daughter, Ann, a lot of negroes. To Joshua, "Barnes Folly." To Samuel, "Major's Choice." To Nicholas, "Long Reach," at Elk Ridge. To Benjamin, "Long Reach." To son John, all the remaining part of "Long Reach" and a lot of silver spoons, to be delivered at the age of sixteen. All the remaining portion of my estate to my wife and exectrix. -- EDWARD DORSEY. (Seal.)
• Sold: three houses on Bloomsbury Square to Lord Baltimore for storage of arms and ammunition, 1705, Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States).
• Probate, 27 Dec 1705, <Baltimore>, Maryland, (United States). The will may have been probated on 31 December 1705.
• Inventory: and appraisal of his estate were made by Thomas Hammond and William Talbott, 1 Apr 1706, <Baltimore>, Maryland, (United States).
Edward married Sarah Wyatt, daughter of Nicholas Wyatt and Damaris Stockett, on 12 Oct 1671 in Anne Arundel, Maryland, United States. (Sarah Wyatt was born in 1657 in <Providence (Anne Arundel), Maryland, (United States)>, died in 1690 in Annapolis, Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States) and was buried in 1692 in Virginia, (United States).)
Some sources have m. before November 1670.
Edward next married Margaret Ruth Larkin, daughter of John Larkin and Unknown, about 1693 in Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States). (Margaret Ruth Larkin was born in 1643 in Anne Arundel, Maryland, (United States), died in 1707 in <Anne Arundel, Maryland>, (United States) and was buried in 1707 in Virginia, (United States).)